Sunday, August 9, 2009

Zombie Movie Reviews: The G.O.R.E. Score

Hi everyone,

When I first created my Slight of the Living Dead blog, one of my primary focuses was to get back into writing regularly, whether it be zombie short stories, long-form novellas, etc. I decided recently that I wanted to share my love of zombie movies with everyone on this site as well, as I know so many of us have seen so many different zombie films, the good, the bad, and the ugly!

So, I came up with a system that I hope will allow anyone who reads my reviews to easily discover what a reviewed movie does better/worse/differently than other zombie films. This system rates films on four distinct levels, allowing readers who are seeking to find/avoid particular details of zombie films to easily identify the specific area they want to know about:

G
: General Entertainment - how engaging the story is (plot, pacing, etc.)
O: Original Content - what the movie does differently/better/uniquely in terms of “zombie cinema”
R: Realism - believability of acting, attention to detail in sets, etc.
E: Effects and Editing - how the “blood and guts” look, scoring of the movie, the more “technical” aspects of film

Hopefully this will be helpful to anyone looking to focus on a specific aspect of a given film, or anyone who simply wants to know specific details about a movie without having to sit through tons of critic-rhetoric about "Why I Loved/Hated This Film."

As always, feedback to reviews is welcomed and appreciated! And if there are any specific films you would like to see reviewed, let me know and I'll do what I can to make it happen. Thanks everyone, and I hope you enjoy the G.O.R.E. Scores!

1 comment:

  1. Well, seeing a rating system named "G.O.R.E." makes me think of Peter Jackson's Dead Alive. I can't help it -- it's practically Pavlovian.

    But if you're looking for something a bit more obscure, may I suggest the early Steve Buscemi film Ed and His Dead Mother?

    ReplyDelete